What You Need:
- Epsom salt
- Food coloring
- Fragrance (you can use perfume or cologne samples or purchase fragrance oils from a craft store)
- Small jar (baby food jars work well)
- Plastic baggie
What You Do:
- Allow your child to examine the ingredients.Discuss characteristics of each item (is it a solid? Is it a liquid?). If your child isn’t familiar with Epsom salts, allow her to examine the Epsom salt carefully.Discuss her observations.
- Encourage your child to use her predicting skills to predict what she thinks will happen when the fragrance, food coloring, and salts are combined.
- Have your child fill a small jar with Epsom salt.
- Add one to two drops of food coloring and mix well.
- To complete this project, add perfume or cologne to the Epsom salt mixture until it has the desired scent.
- Pour one or two handfuls of the bath salts under warm running water to create a soothing, fragrant bath. Enjoy!
- To give as a gift, cut a colorful piece of fabric to cover the lid and tie the fabric onto the lid with a piece of ribbon.