What You Need:
- Hole punch
- Duct tape
- Construction paper
- Watch or timer.
- Dry sand or salt
- 2 jars or cups
What You Do:
- Pour the salt or sand into one of the jars.
- Cut a circular piece of paper that is big enough to fit over the opening of the jar.
- Punch a hole in the middle of the piece of paper and put the paper over the jar.
- Place the second jar upside down on top of the first jar so that the openings are lined up with each other.
- Seal the openings of the jars together with the duct tape.
- Ask your child to predict how many seconds it will take for all the sand to fall to the bottom of the jar.
- Flip over the jars so that the sand starts to fall through the hole into the bottom jar.
- Start your timer and have your child record how long it takes for all the sand to pass through to the bottom jar. You can try a second time and see whether you get the same result.