What You Need:
- Plastic or wooden numbers
- Sandbox or sand at a park or the beach
- Optional: Blindfolds
What You Do:
- Start by burying different numbers in the sand.
- Tell your child that she is going to be digging for treasure. Blindfold her or simply have her closer her eyes and let her know that she will be finding the buried treasure using her senses other than her sight.
- Tell her to dig in the sand until she finds a number. Then she will feel the number all over and try to tell you what number she thinks it is based on the shape that she feels.
- Ask her to try to identify the shapes and parts that she feels with each number. This will help her to figure out which buried number she has uncovered. For example, an eight is made up of two circles and a four has a triangle in it. See how many numbers she can correctly identify simply based on how they feel.
- Optional: To add a bit of fun, bury several play coins in the sand for the children to dig up and count as well.